Reading in a Whole New Way

In class, we discussed how we actually read every day, which is more than any generation in the past. Professor Nichols explained that while being on our phones, we are constantly reading, and I never thought about that. I did not realize how much I read simply by scrolling through social media. We continued our discussion by reading the article Reading in a Whole New Way by Kevin Kelly. His article changed my perspective on what reading is. I enjoy how he prioritized explaining the origin of reading at the beginning of his article. We all know that America was established based off beliefs originating from texts, but I was informed that texts used to flow without spaces between words up until the 11th century. I found that interesting because I would have found that overwhelming, and that probably contributed to the reason there was such a small amount of readers in the past. As the article progressed, the more we were revealed how freaky, yet amazing the capabilities of the screen can be. I never thought about how our screens are already mirroring us which is why they are capable of growing and following their users status. He stated that "the screen becomes part of our identity," because of how reliant we are and will continue to be on the screen/technology and it has to do with how convenient and accessible they are. Our phones are just another version of ourselves that we have created which is why it is hard to function without them. Another thing I noticed from this article was how reading it on my computer affected me. I personally love to read, and it is interesting how I feel like I can visualize and stay focused better while reading a book, than when reading an article online. This is just something I found interesting because I can focus on reading texts from messages or on social media, but the articles are harder for me. It probably has to do with length, but anyways, I enjoyed reading this article and learning how our reading habits will progress in the future. 





Comments